CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY— Hard hitting local commentator turn city Councilor Zaldy Ocon was arrested Monday in Malaybalay City for an 11 counts of cases where he is guilty but posted a bail bond of over half a million pesos.
With this simple words, Rep. Rolando “Klarex” A. Uy who is the lone complainant of cases against Ocon in his official statement thanked the Heavens and everyone for supporting him amidst allegations from his political opponents that he is a drug lord.
This after his friend-turned-nemesis;Ocon, voluntarily surrendered to the Malaybalay City Police Office at around 12 noon. However, by 2 o’clock Monday, Ocon was free after posting the P528,000 bail bond. It was not learned who shouldered Ocon’s bail.
Ocon faces 11 counts of cyberlibel filed against him by Uy. The prosecutors had earlier set the bail at P48,000 per count.
“He surrendered before the police for fear that the police will serve him the warrant of arrest and handcuff him. So he surrendered to prevent that eventuality,” a supporter of Rep. Uy said.
Judge Emmanual Pasal of RTC Branch 38 issued the arrest warrant against Ocon after the City Prosecutor’s Office formally filed the cases against him after denying his Motion for Reconsideration.
Despite that cases had already been filed against him, Ocon continued with his allegations in all his blocktime radio programs that Uy is included in President Duterte’s drug list of high-profile personalities in the drug trade despite the fact that the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA) already cleared the congressman of any wrongdoings.
”No. He is not included in the drug list,” the PDEA said, referring to Uy.
However, the councilor refused to produce his list, saying that he will do so in the proper venue.
But during last week’s City Council session, Ocon blurted out in anger after the majority did not carry his special report: “During our committee hearing, you showed the drug list of 2020. What I have with me is the drug list of 2016.”
Uy, the leading mayoralty candidate in the city, said Ocon’s surrender and eventual posting of bail is the “third success” he achieved in his fight for truth against the allegations.
On the other hand,Ocon after posted a bail bond said:”Nothing to ashamed, I voluntarily submitted to the authorities particularly in Malaybalay City Police Station under the command of City Director PCol. Salva after knowing that my warrant of arrest for 11 counts of Cyber Libel Case had been served Monday morning. At the moment, I am grateful for my temporary liberty after posting a bail bond amounting to more than a half million pesos before the Regional Trial Court 10th Judicial Region Office of the Executive Judge ISOBEL G. BARROSO RTC Branch 8, Malaybalay City, Bukidnon. Of course, I would like to express my whole hearted gratitude to the PNP officers who had treated me as an ordinary person. In the eyes of God, so long He continues to bestow me the courage and bravery to expose the irregularities of some abusive public officials, and if it is line with my duty as a journalist (Radio Commentator), I will fight until the last drop of my blood.